We know we have to work out to keep our body in shape but did you also know you have to work out your mind to keep your brain in shape? There are several fun and quick ways to keep your mind sharp. Here are a few ways to do it!
1. Maintain social contacts. Socializing with people keeps your mind engaged and sharp.
2. Play games that work both the left and right side of your brain. Games like Chinese checkers, word puzzles, Sudoku, and scrabble help work out both sides of the brain. Just a few minutes a day of these games have proven to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's.
3. Learning something new is a great way to keep your mind sharp. Focus on learning just a few words per day of a foreign language or take up a new hobby or skill and work on it each day.
4. Eat foods that are rich in antioxidants—such as berries, dark leafy greens, grapes, carrots, and tomatoes to keep your brain in peak working order by preventing cholesterol from lining your arteries and slowing blood flow to the brain.
5. Keep up a regular exercise routine to keep your brain alert.
6. Use your non-dominant hand several times throughout the day to expand brain circuits. This leads to increased mental agility. If you're a lefty, try using your right hand to brush your teeth or if you are a righty try to stir a pot of food with your left hand.
7. Eat well and sleep well-give your brain time to re-charge and re-fuel.
8. Eat more fish! Fish has essential fatty acids, such as Omega 3s, that are critical to brain function.