Throughout the aging process, tasks that used to be easy gradually become difficult, and even dangerous. Many people find things like bathing next to impossible as they grow older. Here are a few steps you can take to help make the bathing process safer and easier.
- Install grab bars inside and outside of your shower or bathtub.
- Use slip-resistant bath mats.
- Keep bathing items in an easy-to-reach spot.
- Make sure you have emergency access within reach. This can include installing a telephone in the bathroom or taking a cell phone into the bathroom with you.
- Set your water heater thermostat to a lower setting to prevent scalding water. Most hardware stores sell devices that shut off water if it gets too hot.